First Congregational Church
Worship on Sunday Mornings at 10 AM

Office (weekdays 8:00 - 12:00)  533-2483
On the Corner of  Bird and Oak Streets Just west of historic Downtown Oroville.
To contact the church: office@fccoro.org
First Congregational Church

History


In 1855, Reverend Bela Seymour and his new bride set out from New York for the Marquesas Islands to be missionaries. When they arrived in San Francisco, they heard of war in the islands, and decided to stay in California. They settled in Oroville in 1856, and gathered enough people to form a church in 1857. They met in saloons and theatres, and when they could find no other place they met under an oak tree on Bird Street, between Lincoln and Oak-- right where the church building stands today. They gathered in the new Courthouse, and then constructed their own brick building by late 1858.

Oroville was a mining boom town with about 4000 people, served by many saloons and no church before this one was formed. First Congregational has grown and changed with the community, with new buildings in 1870, 1913, and 1984. Many residents of Oroville remember the old building, and the fire that destroyed it in 1982.

The "new" building includes a Sanctuary which seats 120 on the main floor and 60 in the balcony, a smaller Chapel, and a social hall which seats 80. The distinctive architecture and the excellent pipe organ make this a popular place for mid-size weddings.

This year, as we celebrate the 153rd anniversary of our founding, we look forward to many years of serving Christ in this place. Our next 150 members are in our thoughts and prayers. Are you one of them?

We are thankful to be a part of the United Church of Christ